Friday, 15 June 2012

Plant based diet - two months in


Two months ago we decided to go onto a predominantly plant based diet. I don't say vegan because we do eat eggs and honey, we do occasionally eat meat and dairy to fit in at other peoples houses and we don't apply the wider vegan ban on animal products in general.

I can honestly say that I love it. I don't think I realised how long I had wanted to give up meat for. It's not nearly as hard work as people assume, even when you throw making sure a one year old gets what he needs into the mix. It feels natural now and I'm actually much more reluctant to eat meat and dairy when we're out and about than I thought I would be.

I also feel as healthy as I have ever felt in my life, probably healthier. Still rubbish at walking up hills (shame, really, living in Wales...) but I feel trim and clean inside. I go through tired phases, but that's more to do with the joys of teething, or not having curtains in the bedroom at the height of summer (duh).

I have also suddenly been able to eat foods that previously I just didn't get on with, like beetroot and avocado. I don't know what I'd do without avocado now, it is one of the most useful foods in my fridge.

Other people's reactions are funny. They are often horrified, not because they think we are doing a bad thing but because they just can't imagine what it is like. Cheese is often mentioned as an essential food for happiness. I always say, it's much easier than you'd think and much much nicer too. Also, you get to eat Lentil Herder's Pie instead of Shepherd's Pie which is the best name for a dish ever!

Firm favourites include red pepper hummus, avocado, salad and tomato sandwiches which my meathead husband recently announced are the new BLT; potato and spinach polenta breakfast slices; mushroom and lentil bolognese; orange and banana smoothies (the baby guzzles these :); and roast dinners (yes really! it's all about the nuts...).

Of course there have been a few clunkers too. The less said about the corn bread topped mexican casserole the better. I think my brain took a holiday that day. The carrot hummus wasn't too bright either.

I'm going to start doing a weekly meal plan as of next week, to help myself be more organised and also - hopefully - get our food bill down a bit. I'll post some of the good recipes and try to remember to take photos before we scoff the lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment