Friday, 19 October 2012

Perfect toddler friendly flapjack - dairy free and no added sugar

I have been on the hunt for a no added sugar flapjack recipe for some months and have had several failed attempts. However, thanks to Mamacook I have now figured out how to make no-added sugar that is tasty and - importantly - doesn't collapse into granola every time!

I have tinkered a little with the recipe as I love orange flapjack and the flavour works so well with the dates. Its easy and reliable. The only problem, and it is rather a big problem, is that it won't last long so consider making a double batch!

15 Feb 2013 update: try my new version of this recipe with added veg. Yes! Veg!

Orange and Date no-added sugar Flapjack

Ingredients

150g stoned dates, chopped fine
5 tbsp orange juice
zest of 1/2 medium orange
150g dairy free butter / spread (I use Pure sunflower)
100g raisins or sultanas
225g porridge oats
1/2 tsp allspice

Preheat the oven to 170 C fan ovens or 180 C for conventional ovens.

Line and grease or oil a 9 inch round cake tin, or similarly sized tin.

Pour the orange juice over the dates and add the orange zest. Stir well to coat the dates and then leave to steep for at least 1/2 hour if you have time, even a few minutes is good though. Once steeped, mash the dates as much as possible (I use a fork or you could try a hand blender) until you have a lumpy sticky mixture (many of the dates won't mash but that's fine).

Melt the butter / spread in a saucepan and add the date mixture and raisins / sultanas. Heat gently until it is all combined.

Add the oats and allspice and then turn into your prepared tin. I used a 9 inch round loose bottomed cake tin and it was perfect. Lightly press down the mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned on top, but keep on eye on it after 15 minutes. Cut into 12-16 squares (depending on the size you want) and leave in the tin until fully cooled or it will break apart.


Seriously delicious and about as virtuous as flapjack gets!

If you're cooking for toddlers and older babies, why not try these dairy and sugar free Broccoli Muffins? They make a great snack or meal accompaniment. My boy likes to start the day with one!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this and adapting my recipe! You've inspired me and I'm currently having another go with a slight adaptation. I'll let you know if it's a success!

    ReplyDelete